With fuel prices rising, many people may turn to alternative ways to heat their home, cook their food or manage other electrical appliances. North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, along with the Police Fire & Crime Commissioner have written some guidance which provides advice on how best to avoid risks and stay safe.
- Heating your home using devices such as portable heaters, solid fuel heating, outdoor heating and electric blankets.
- Cooking – specifically using disposable or portable equipment.
- Safe use of electrical appliances such as washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers.
- Appropriately using candles
- Fire detection and smoke alarms in your owned homes or rented accommodation.
- Signposting to support services that can help with managing energy bills, staying warm this winter and identifying fire risks in the home.
Please feel free to share this information and also the continued offer of a free Safe and Well visit to people’s homes to identify and reduce any fire risks.
Thank you, Laura
Community Safety Officer