There are regulations setting out specific information that a council must publish. The Transparency Code for Smaller Authorities was issued in December 2014 and makes it mandatory for councils with an annual turnover of less than £25,000 to publish certain information.
The financial year 2017-18 was the first year that the Town Council had elected to be a smaller authority, exempted from external review of its accounts by the government-appointed auditor, and was instead obliged to publish this information on its website.
The information that must be published is as follows:
1. Statements of all expenditure over £100
2. End of Year Accounts in the agreed format
3. List of Councillors (see the Members page on this website)
4. Details of public land and building assets
5. Minutes, agendas and Papers of formal meetings. These are displayed under ‘Documents’ on this website and current agendas are shown on the two notice boards in the town, one outside the Key Centre and the other in the main square.
6. The Annual Return
This is a high-level summary of the information that an exempted Council is obliged to publish. A detailed statement of how the Town Council complies with its obligations under the Transparency Directive is available in the document entitled ‘Council Transparency Document’.